Aggressive Representation From a Skilled and Experienced Erb's Palsy Attorney


A doctor holds a newborn babyIf your child has suffered an injury such as Erb’s palsy, you and your family understand the mental, physical, and financial toll it can take. Through extensive physical therapy, an estimated 90 percent of children affected at birth will regain mobility and resolve the issues caused by the damaged brachial plexus. However, the other 10 percent will not be as fortunate and may face a lifelong struggle. In either case, if you believe that medical negligence or malpractice has led to the injury of your child, an Erb’s palsy attorney at Rubin, Machado & Rosenblum in Chicago, IL, can review, investigate, and seek proper compensation for your hardships and expenses. 

What is Erb’s Palsy?

A network of spinal nerve roots called the brachial plexus extends from the neck through the collarbone. When the nerves⏤which are responsible for enabling movement and sensation in the upper extremities⏤are torn, ruptured, or overwhelmed with scar tissue, the result may be diminished range of motion or partial paralysis. In most cases, patients may have the ability to move their fingers, even without the ability to move the shoulder. However, in more extreme cases when the upper and lower nerves are both affected, the patient may be experiencing total brachial birth palsy or another form of birth injury.

What Causes the Injury?

Most cases of Erb’s palsy occur during a difficult labor as the baby passes through the birth canal. At times, because of an awkward angle of delivery, the infant’s head and arm may be pulled in opposite directions, causing the nerves to become damaged. Shoulder dystocia⏤another complication that occurs when the baby’s shoulders are unable to pass below the pelvis of the mother⏤can also be erroneously handled by medical personnel, which can also lead to an injured brachial plexus. 

We understand that the birth of your child is one of the most exciting and emotional moments you can experience in your lifetime. However, we also understand that you and your family may face some hardships and difficulties resulting from negligence.

Why it is Important to Seek Legal Counsel

Patients suffering from Erb’s palsy may struggle throughout their lifetime with certain work and leisure activities. Additionally, medical expenses may cause undue hardship. Therefore, it is our responsibility as attorneys to determine the cause and contributing factors that led to your child’s injury. During an investigation, our team will ascertain the circumstances that led to the injury and conclude whether the doctor or medical professional failed to properly prevent the injury. Our legal team will aggressively build a medical negligence case to seek compensation for those expenses, the possible loss of income, permanent or partial disability, and pain and suffering. 

Contact Our Team of Attorneys Today

We understand that the birth of your child is one of the most exciting and emotional moments you can experience in your lifetime. However, we also understand that in some circumstances, you and your family may face some hardships and difficulties resulting from the negligence of a medical professional. During these trying times, our dedicated and compassionate team of attorneys and staff at Rubi,n Machado & Rosenblum, LTD., will work diligently to assist in the recovery of compensation that is entitled to you and your family. To learn more about how we can assist you with your lawsuit, or to simply review your case, please send us a message, or call us at (312) 327-1840.